Mahi Mahi with Farro and Mushrooms Over Greens
An Ashley original. A simple and delicious way to showcase mahi.
- Mahi mahi filet (bloodline is good to leave on in this preparation!)
- Avocado oil to coat skillet
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2-4 tbs butter, depending on preference
- Seasoning for mushrooms to liking (cajun seasoning recommended)
- 1 cup farro (can substitute other rice or grain like quinoa)
- Salad greens- we prefer local varieties like Ma'o and Kahumana
- Lemon wedges to finish
- Heat 5 quarts water,salted, in a large pot. Add farro and simmer for 20 min or until tender. Drain excess water after.
- While water is boiling, heat large skillet (iron if can) to medium heat with coating of avocado oil. while pan is heating season mahi filet with salt and pepper. Cook mahi once skillet is hot only 1-2 minutes each side. The filet will keep cooking once taken off the heat.
- In a separate pan melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and seasoning. Cook until lightly wilted stirring occasionally. If they are cooking too fast you can push the mushrooms to the edge of the pan and the water will collect in the middle. This will cook them slower for minute or two then they are most likely ready. Mix in farro with mushrroms and butter.
- Serve the farro and mahi over the greens or on the side. Enjoy yall!