A sweet and spicy mango lime marinade that caramelizes perfectly on a hot grill.
- 2 large unripe, firm mangos, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 (6-ounce) hebi steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large unripe, firm mango, peeled, pitted and cut into ½ inch slices
- Italian parsley for garnish
- To prepare the marinade: Using a blender combine the mango, lime, water, black pepper, salt and garlic and puree on high speed for about 30 seconds. Place the hebi in a large resealable storage bag. Pour 1 cup marinade into the bag, close and refrigerate for up to 1 hour. Reserve remaining 3/4 cup marinade.
- To grill the hebi: Preheat the grill to very hot*. Remove the hebi from the marinade and pat dry. Brush a tablespoon of olive oil on the hebi steaks and place on the hottest part of the grill. After 2 minutes, turn the hebi steaks over with a spatula. Allow 3 to 4 minutes of grilling time on the second side, then move the steaks to a lower heat on the side of the grill. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer until cooked through.
- Brush the remaining tablespoon of olive oil on the mango slices and grill for 1 to 2 minutes over high heat on each side until lightly glazed and remove.
- Serve with reserved marinade drizzled on cooked hebi and then top with grilled mango slices and garnish with fresh parsley.